In 2010 two prominent international conference series were merged – the ENID series, initiated in 2005 in the context of the EU funded PRIME network of excellence, and the "Leiden" STI series, initiated in 1988 by CWTS (formerly Lisbon Institute), University of Leiden. Since then the International Science, Technology and Innovation Indicators Conference (STI Conference) has been organized under the auspice of ENID. It provides a European and worldwide forum for presenting and discussing advances in constructing, using, and interpreting science and technology indicators. The STI Indicators conference series is devoted to bring together researchers, STI producers and users, as well as other stakeholders. The STI Indicators conference series thus contributes to gain a better understanding with regard to S&T Indicators applied in different contexts which range from understanding institutional structures, developmental processes, and contexts of science itself to their use as analytical tools in knowledge management and science policy decision making.
The STI Indicators conference series is jointly organized by ENID and the hosting institution. Previous conferences took place in Leiden 2010, Rome 2011, Montréal 2012, Berlin 2013, Leiden 2014, Lugano 2015, València 2016 and Paris 2017. The next conference will take place on 12–14 September 2018 in Leiden.
In its meeting on 6 September 2013 in Berlin the general assembly endorsed the following rules regarding the organization of the ENID STI Indicators conference series:
- The STI Indicators conference will take place every year in the first half of September. The definitive dates will be fixed by the organizers together with ENID.
- Each annual STI Indicators conference shall have a local organizer which is responsible for the scientific program, the conference organization and finances.
- Each conference shall have a topic which will be decided by ENID based on a proposal from the local organizers. The topic shall be sufficiently broad to address a large audience within the S&T community, as well as topics of high interest for public RTD policies. Topics shall be selected based on emerging development in the fields and taking into account to ensure an adequate coverage of specific domains through the whole series.
- The composition of the conference committee has to be endorsed by ENID. It shall be composed of a small number of individuals with recognized high-standing scientific reputation and providing a sufficiently broad thematic and geographical representation of the S&T indicators field.
- The STI Indicators conference shall aim to reach a high level of scholarly quality in the scientific sessions achieved through a rigorous selection of the submissions. In principle, this should include:
- Submission and selection based on short papers;
- Evaluation through external referees;
Proposals to organize and host a conference can be send to the who will submit the proposal to the ENID board. The ENID board will decide upon accepting a proposal. At each ENID conference the location for the next conference shall be announced.